Friday, April 29, 2011

Biker party in Monterey

CLIF sponsors the "kick-off-bike-event of the season each year called Sea Otter Classic. This is not just bike racing but a celebration of everything bike. It draws every kind of biker (well, the ones without motors) from many different walks of life. In 2005 Momma, reluctantly agreed to join the CLIF office mountain biking team (complete rookie amateurs mind you). At the time I was pushing my comfort zone riding some single track and trying to learn some new skills. I am great climber and can ride forever so I thought "sure I can deal in cross-country race". Then I was told each team member had to do this "not very" technical downhill course. Any amount of technical is too much technical for me and then add the word downhill and that is TROUBLE. But I couldn't get out of it. I signed the dotted line and I was in. Five minutes before my turn at the starting gate I lean in and tell my fellow CLIFmate, Inger, that there is slight chance I could be pregnant (reminder this was in 2005)and that if I was it was so early it couldn't even be confirmed but I had suspicion and I was right! Six months later Eric was born and we hadn't been back to Sea Otter until this spring.

Bringing our bike-loving-boys back here felt like a pilgrimage. This time the only person who brought his bike was Eric and he rocked the trails like and expert. With out even a glance in our direction he was off!





There isn't a more family-friendly,down-to-earth event than this, and for our family no better way to mix business with pleasure. The reason we went was because Momma(me) was giving a nutrition seminar at the ladies day.

CLIF threw a rockin party with our in-house CLIF band, the Dung Beetles, and all the Pyramid and CLIF BAR wine you could drink.

Noah and Eric rocked out to the music and kept energy levels high with breaks for snacks.





Eric is a true fan of CLIF SHOT bloks and made himself at home in the booth recharging on them. He needed them too because he spent four hours in the super slide, Lightening McQueen bounce house slide!






0 comments: