Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Where's that chicken

This morning Eric and I were sitting on the couch, me feeding Noah and Eric talking. Out of no where (as most of his thoughts are) Eric asks me, "Where's that chicken Momma?"

"What chicken?" I say. "Oh, you mean the rooster three houses down that doesn't know morning from night?"

"No Momma. The one on Shari's old roof."

Our living room window looks out on a view of our neighbor's (Shari) gorgeous roses and the roof of her house (ever since we got our new roof in December Eric refers to all other roofs as old). A few weeks ago we were sitting in our morning spots on the couch (me feeding Noah and Eric keeping us company) and there was, on Shari's roof I kid you not, a huge wild turkey. I was so stunned my reaction was to scream out "uh,uh help". Then the turkey flew off the roof, down to the ground, and over the fence into Dean's yard.

Now, turkeys are pretty common up in the Oakland hills and the state parks up there but I have never seen them down here just wandering around so I was a little taken aback. In San Francisco I have seen foxes (red & gray), coyote, skunks, raccoons, and flocks of parrots but not a turkey. And to see a turkey eye to eye out your window and 6:30am is pretty surprising. You see, there is only about one foot between our window and Shari's roof so that turkey might as well have been in our living room.

So to answer Eric's question "where's that chicken?" Well that would be three houses down in Chucks backyard, but the turkey is now roaming around on Burbank street.

0 comments: