Friday, September 07, 2007

Happy, Happy Birthday



Today, Eric, is your first birthday. There is no mistake, September 7th, 2006 at 4:34pm was the first your Dad and I heard your beautiful cry. What a wonderful sound that was. It was the first time we met face to face. Immediately after you were born I felt so calm and at ease. It must have been exhaustion because the feeling didn't last too long. But in that moment I must have known that everything was going to be alright, that you were going to teach us to be strong, patient, and determined, all good training for when you came home, and that we were embarking on a great adventure.

This year feels like a timewharp. It feels neither long nor short. You have brought us more smiles than I can count. When you were still "in the store" as your Dad says when refering to the hospital, your Dad said he could tell you were a good guy, and he was absolutely right on. You are a great guy and people and babies love your company. I must kiss you 10,000 times a day at least.

You are really coming into your own and showing us the personality behind those eyes, those eyes that I new were blue from just about the first day you opened them. Everyone kept telling me it was too soon to tell but knew I could see the bright blue beginings in them. Your Grandma Lorraine and I were there the first moment you opened them. You looked right at me and although you couldn't yet see me, you could feel me holding you close, and hear your Dad's voice and his stories of each day.

On your first birthday I hope you enjoyed your first push in the swing at Alta Vista Park. We know you loved watching the yboy push his red car around the playground. You also met Angela Williamson for the first time and she of course loved your curls.

So you weren't into getting messy with your cupcake. I understand your need to be neat. I am definietly messy Mommy but messes are ok as long as you clean them up. The candle was cool though and Dad helped you blow it out. You got tons of cool presents. The deliveries poored in dropped off by our favorite UPS driver. The phone rang off the hook with Happy Birthday wishes on your special day from friends and family: Bobby fay, Grandpa Ralph, Grandma Lorraine, Aunt Susie. Cards poored in from Gram Jeannie, nurse Kathy, and Great Nana.




I am your Mom and that gives me the right to be sentimental. All these birthday wishes were reminders of all the support that washed over us in waves this time last year. You are blessed with so many wonderful people who care about you.

Party, party, party is what we will do all weekend with your Birthday Buddies Ryan (September 5th) & Spencer (September 8th). Heck, all year. Do you know why? Because things are really good and we are so happy. Yes we are all a little tired in our little family but being tired is really no big thing when we know we get to be tired together. Let's celebrate - All our love, Mom & Dad

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the birthday pix. He just gets cuter and cuter. We send all our love.
GA and GU

Anonymous said...

happy birthday. i've been following your stories since he was born. many more to come!