Monday, September 25, 2006

Diaper Changing

Today I saw the poopiest diaper I have ever seen from such a small person and I was so excited. I never thought I would get so excited for poopy diapers. I didn't have to change this diaper because nurse Karen didn't want me to make a mess with such a full diaper. Aaron and I have both changed a few tiny diapers. Despite our lack of diaper changing experience, we are getting better at it. We also have the added challenge of changing the small diaper through the arm holes of Eric's bed while avoiding wires and tubes, and doing it one handed. It is not easy and the nurse always talks us through it.

Eric's eyes get a little goopy because of his infection which, is being treated nicely with some eye drops, and the nurses have been trying to teach me how to wipe his eyes clean. I am a little too delicate and don't always get it with the first wipe.

Taking his temperature is another task the nursing staff lets Mom and Dad do, and we are getting pretty good at lifting his tiny arm and putting the thermometer in his armpit.

Eric is up to 7 cc's (7 millileters) of mom's milk every 2 hours. He seems to tolerate it pretty well. The plan is to increase him 1 cc every 12 hours until he reaches is nutrition goal of 13 cc's every 2 hours. Every time he increases his milk intake the doctor (this week Dr. Lee is on staff) decreases his TPN, which is the nutrition he gets through an IV in his arm. Once he can tolerate all his nutrition by mouth they will be able to remove the line in his arm.

Eric opened his eyes for his active hour from around 4:30pm-5:30pm tonight. His ears, hands, feet, and pretty much everything seem a little bigger to me, which makes sense since he is growing right before our eyes. It is a beautiful thing to watch and I am fixated on every little movement he makes.

Here is a picture of Daddy tucking Eric in.



2 comments:

amy said...

Oh, so cute! I love that you get to change his poopy diapers!

Amy & Denny

Anonymous said...

I imagine that is one of the first jobs the nurses are happy to hand off!! The extensive Montana shadow support group want to know when he gains weight. There a lot of folks in the Eric camp. Keeps those posts coming.
Lots of love, GA and GU